Monday, August 2, 2010

Realtiy TV Rant

A few weeks ago Seth and I started watching "Last Comic Standing". We both love a good comedian and this show seemed to be great. But, as the weeks went on it became so obvious that this "reality" show was totally fixed.
I was so bugged!
Maybe I was naive to think it wasn't fake.
I really don't watch a lot of "reality shows", so I don't know much about them. Are they all fake? What makes a show a reality show?
Seth loves American Pickers and Pawn Stars on the History Channel. I've watched them and I've actually learned a lot. But, it seems unfair to call those shows "reality shows" and put them in the same bracket as "The real housewives of wherever".
I don't get it.
I know so many people love Jersey Shore. It's like a guilty pleasure or something, I guess. Since I've never seen it, I shouldn't judge, but I have seen interviews with the people on it and all I can say is, Are you kidding me? They're making more money in one year than we do and all they is "GTL". Did I say that right?
I've also never watched an episode of The Bachelor or the Bachelorette.
I hear they're addicting. Someone described it to me like watching a car crash. You want to turn away but you can't.
Believe me, I'm all for a guilty pleasure. (I can't get enough of Chelsea Lately).
But I don't get what's so great about watching people yell and fight. And hearing that bleep sound every time someone swears gets a little annoying.
It seems to take no talent or skill to be on some of these reality shows.
Am I missing something? Will someone please tell me what the deal is with all these reality shows and which ones are worth watching. I'm so confused.

9 comments:

Sid said...

i have to admit ia m a bachelorette fan! it is like a train wreck you can't not watch!

Amy said...

I don't get a lot of the reality shows, but I LOVE Survivor!

And I love your last post.

Mike said...

A "reality show" consists of individuals who care for nothing but themselves and will do anything to anyone in order to achieve their objectives. Take Big Brother, or Survivor as examples. All a casting director has to do is say "who is the most conceded among these candidates? i.e. who has the most polarizing personality?" and they have their cast. I can't stand them, personally. Having said that - I do enjoy watching Biggest Loser (but I usually eat ice cream while doing it, just for kicks). If there were an actual reality show, it would consist of some guy spending an hour of his day in the car, sitting at his desk reading emails, and filling out paperwork. That's reality. I can see why people choose Jersey Shore over that

Unknown said...

Mike,
I think you'd like the shows Seth watches on The History Channel. See if they have it online.

Jenn said...

My brother in law knows the little chocolatier and he told him TLC creates drama on that show. It is not reality. I know what you mean- no such thing as a reality show.

Unknown said...

Jenny,
That's exactly what I'm talking about it. I'm glad to know it's not all in my head.

Brittany said...

Amy... it's a complete guilty pleasure and although I should be ashamed to admit it, I love the bachelorette. I also love last comic stnading. Why do you think it's fixed?

Unknown said...

Brittany,
Because all the good ones never made it to the end part where the people vote. The producers pick who gets that far. I loved the lesbian looking girl. She was so funny and yet she didn't make it to the semi finals that lady that rips on her kid went on. I could go on and on.

lifeisgood said...

SURVIVOR FANS here all the way. I even set in a tape to try and get on the show. Yea I would love that! Best reality tv show out there hands down.
I hate to admit it but I can't stop myself from watching the stupid yet addicting Bachelorette show. Don't start watching that one. It's a bad drug...stay away. I'm addicted and will have to start going to B.A. (Bachelorettes anonymous) to kick my habit.