Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Few Do's & Don't's

Now that I've been a mom of twins for a year here is a list of things I've been thinking about over the last year.

A few things you should never ever say to someone who is pregnant with multiples:


  • Good Luck (in a sarcastic tone)

  • So Glad It's You and Not Me

  • That Would Suck

  • That's going to be so hard

  • Telling stories about someone you know who has multiples and all the horrible things that have gone wrong

  • If the person looks like they haven't gained much weight and saying, are you sure you're still pregnant? maybe one didn't make it.


I heard all of these things when I was pregnant and let me tell you it did not help. I was about to jump off a cliff as it was and hearing those things didn't help. So my advice is, even if you're thinking you would never want twins don't tell the person who's having them. It only scares them more.



Not to be too negative here are some reasons why having twins is the absolute BEST thing in the world:

  • Best Friends. I love watching them play!!! The bond they have is amazing!

  • Only pregnant once, but you get 2 babies. That said it still sucks to carry more than one person around inside you.

  • Gain strong muscles. I really didn't need to do weights when I was carrying a carrier with a baby in each hand.

  • Work is Fun. People ask all the time "Is having twins so hard?". I tell them it's work. And it depends how you look at work. Having a baby takes work, so having more than one is even more so, but I try and see it as fun.

  • Dressing them alike. Probably the biggest regret I have is saying I would never dress them alike. What was I thinking? It's way too much fun!

  • Going to church. People look at us strange when we say we love church!! But it's true. It's a great 3 hour break for us. If you're in our ward then you know I'm telling the truth. I am almost never holding a baby. There are always people wanting to hold them.

  • Twins plus older kids is the best way to go. It sounds crazy but serioulsy I wouldn't have it any other way. There are many days that I find myself just reading or hanging out while the rest of my kids are all awake playing.

So there it is. What I've learned (not that much) in one year from being a mom of twins.

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! Seriously. Amazing! Your babies are lucky little girls!

** Adrian ** said...

You ARE awesome!! You are the perfect Mom to have twins!!! I am constantly inspired by you!

I LOVE the letters to your girls! They are so sweet, they almost made me cry!!!

I love the birthday photos, too! They look so cute! I can't believe how fast the past year has gone by!

Jenn said...

Don't you think people say stupid things to pregnant women in general? We should write a book about all of the stupid things people say- your list is pretty terrible! You have a great way at looking at it. I think it would be awesome to have twins, because you will never have to have to get a play date for your girls...ever!! They have a built in best friend!!

bevany said...

I love this post.

Amy said...

I love this list. Its awesome. And it seems like you are handling twins perfectly. I could use a lesson or two from you...

Love the dance and birthday pics.

Karen said...

A good friend of ours who also has twins is always telling us that she would have multiples again in a heartbeat. I think, like you, she has learned the secret to have more than one baby. Yes, it's hard that first year, but they do have a built in buddy.

Chuck said...

Seriously, the twins are so fun to just hang out with. I love just being with them.

Amy, you are amazing the way you handle all 4. I can't function with all 4 of them and you do everything like it's no big deal.

I love you!