Thursday, February 10, 2011

Super Cheap or Super Smart?

Earlier today I called Seth and said I wasn't in the mood to cook.
We had a gift card for Rumbi and a punch pass with a free meal. So all we would have to pay for was the kids. I was thinking since they are all little eaters we could get away with 2 kids meals split 4 ways.
Well, it just so happens as I was on my way to Rumbi a thoughtful friend called to tell me that Barbacoa was offering free kids meals and free chips and queso , with no minimum purchase!
So of course I went straight there and ordered a kids meal.
At the drive through I was told one kids meal per car. That's understandable.
But when I got to the window and she saw who was all in my car she said I could have 4.
Again, no purchase required. I actually tried to tell her no but she insisted.
I was feeling a little guilty so I bought a drink.
My original plan was to take everyone to Rumbi and Seth and I would eat ours and the kids could eat theirs.
But all I could think as I was driving to Rumbi was "Am I a total tightwad or just smart with my money?".
I've never actually taken my kids to a restaurant and had them eat something from another restaurant. It felt weird.
In the end we never ended up eating at Rumbi. My kids were acting horrible so I sent Seth a text saying to meet us at home and we'd just eat all the free food there.
But really, tell me the truth. Am I cheap or smart? I won't be offended. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer and it isn't smart.

8 comments:

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

SMART. No question about it.

bevany said...

Frugal. That's the word. I believe the definition is both cheap and smart :)

Gates Family said...

Totally smart and what an awesome friend to let you know about the free Barbacoa kids meal!

Beth said...

Uhhmm...I'm always up for a free meal so I'm going to say smart because I would never call myself a tightwad:)

Jenn said...

SMART!!!

Brittany said...

I think smart but I would feel the same way about eating another restaurants food in Rumbi. It seems disrespectful somehow. Anyway... I think you're frugal and smart.

Kira said...

sounds like something we've done. we're all about the free kids meals all the way. I'd say Smart!

Chelsea said...

Smart with a capital S! :)