Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Homeless?

I heard the car pool honk for Bella this afternoon and as I glanced up to say goodbye this is what I saw...
I had to take a picture, because all I could think was "she looks homeless".
Her coat and boots are too big, she's wearing sweat pants and a shirt that looks too big.
I wish I could say she looks more put together other days, and that this was just a bad day. But the truth is she looks like this pretty much every day.
I'm torn because part of me wants to pick out her clothes and do her hair so she doesn't look like she just woke up from sleeping in the yard.
But the other part of me wants her to be independent and let her feel good about what she picked out.
I thought I had come to a happy medium. I've told her that on Sundays and special days like picture day or something like that, I get to pick out the clothes and the way we do her hair.
But then today, and after seeing this picture I'm having second thoughts.

I really should be more embarrassed about this picture of the twins. Granted they were a little cranky right at the moment I took the picture. But the hair do's they're sporting aren't too far off from what they look like everyday. And yes, sadly this is how they look at church too.
I think the reason their hair looks so bad is because the second and I mean second I pull it up or put in a clip they pull it out. Or one of them will keep the clip in and then the other sister will pull it out.
At least I have one child who will let me dress them and keeps things in her hair.
I just never would have guessed it would be Claire.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

I wore pink leg watmers with every outfit my whole first grade year. My mom also let me do my own hair. When I talk to her about it now she says that it gives kids character and independence to let them do things like that themselves and I 100% agree. Plus, she'll look back and laugh about it later, I promise. You are a great mom!

sunshine said...

Darling girls!

Jenn said...

Too funny!! I loved the comment about Bella looking like she rolled out of the yard!! The girls that go to school are forced to get their hair done, etc.., but the ones that are with me all day look homeless. Wouldn't you think it should be the other way around?? I have to be seen with them!! This post made me laugh!!

bevany said...

Oh Hed...I love you. One question: Bella has afternoon kindergarten right? Here's a better deal: she gets to pick her outfit on fridays if she wears what you pick every other day of the week. Eh?
She's cute no matter what though. Love the picture of Claire :)